Jawad Chaya

In the house of Martyr Jawad Chaya, everything speaks volumes about the 31-year old who enlisted with the Lebanese Army, following his father's request, after he had made up his mind to travel looking for a better future.

In Badghan – Aley, Jawad was born to Ajwad and Afaf Chaya. He was an only son, with three sisters.

Jawad was remarkably peaceful and reasonable. He was his sisters' confidant, best friend, and adviser. Moreover, he was indeed the man of the house while his father was away on business in the United Arab Emirates.

Jawad holds a BT in Hospitality, his great academic standing led Al-Kafaat Technical Institute's director to give him management responsibilities at the cafeteria, while he was still a student.

After enlisting with the Lebanese Army, Jawad underwent military training, and moved between different posts before he was finally transferred to the Lebanese Army Military Intelligence, and stationed at the Port of Beirut. His army related duties did not stop him from pursuing his education, and he earned his bachelor's degree in Hotel Management, from the Islamic University of Lebanon.

Jawad was very brave and bold on the job, and he recently solved a drug trafficking case. He was able to catch the drug dealer, despite a broken leg during the mission.

On the 4th of August, Jawad was on duty when everything went crazy. A huge explosion at the Port of Beirut echoed all over Lebanon.

At the very moment media channels started circulating the news, Jawad's father unconsciously said "Jawad is gone.".

Long heavy hours passed while the family was waiting for the slightest piece of news about their son. They looked for him in most hospitals around Lebanon, but to no avail.

"Abou Jawad" called his son multiple times, but the phone was always off. He still called until the phone rang, and an army officer answered the call, and informed him that they found Jawad, and that he was dead, his phone was next to him.

Before the explosion, when Jawad saw the fire at the port, he went with martyr Lieutenant Ayman Noureddine and a group of army men to help extinguish the flames. But instead, warehouse number 12 exploded, killing them and taking away their hopes and dreams, hitting us hard like a wakeup call for the whole country.

We pledge the lives lost on that fateful summer afternoon will not be in vain, maybe then, `we shall see the light at the end of the tunnel.