Jean Said Nehme

Jean lived abroad for years, before coming back to live in his favorite country. However, no one knew that he would be abused and disgraced in the country he loved so much.

Jean Said Roukoz Nehme, from Deir El Qamar, Chouf, the youngest among his siblings, three girls and two boys. His family was very fond of him. He was smart and intelligent, having a passion for the Arabic language since his childhood, in which he wrote poems. He studied at Frères Maristes in his hometown, and then went to Beirut where he studied law at USJ, having graduated with honors. He then immigrated to Kinshasa, Congo in the sixties, where he worked as a teacher, after which he entered the world of business. He was very successful, and amassed a fortune. He became a prominent name in the Lebanese diaspora.

He tied the knot in Paris with his cousin Joumana Honein, and had three children: Carine, Charles-Jean, and Yara, who lost her life due to a muscle disease, which left the family bereaved, and left a bitter taste on Jean throughout his life. He then started moving between Africa and France, where his family lived. After fulfilling his dreams, he went back to Beirut to have rest from the worries of life.

He was known for his high moral standing and his generosity, not only towards his family and friends, but also towards any Lebanese person who asked for his help.

On the afternoon of the cursed Tuesday, Jean went out with his wife on foot, from their home near Hospital Rizk, towards ABC Ashrafieh, where they usually have coffee. When the explosion struck, metal and debris started falling on them. Joumana was hit on her hand and her back, but she was able to get up from the debris to search for Jean, however she couldn’t find him due to the dust. She started screaming: “Jean, Jean!” to which a passer-by pointed at a man lying on the ground, unconscious. He was struck on his head, shoulder, and hand, where there were blood stains. She called an ambulance immediately, which transported them to the area’s hospitals that were destroyed from the blast; they would not take him in. He was then moved to Mount Lebanon Hospital, where he was treated along with Joumana. His health kept deteriorating, so he was moved to Hotel Dieu, where his cousin Dr. Khalil Honein worked. He kept struggling with pain and complications, and underwent many surgeries before finally passing away.

Jean, a symbol of morality, whose smile never left his face, lost his life, grieved by his loved ones. Instead of being in the list of successful Lebanese immigrants, he was instead put on the sad list of August 4 victims.